The Climate Committee is meeting this Friday (18th Feb) and is expected to be making announcements about carbon pricing and other matters soon.
An announcement of a low price on Carbon of around $20 per tonne is anticipated. The big polluters will disingenuously claim it will cost lots of jobs.
Let the committee members know how you feel by joining the “Climate Callout”- phone Climate Committee members on Thursday 17 February 2011. 8am to 12 noon. Tell them to:
1. Put a high price on carbon now -and phase in $40 – $50 per tonne.
2. Take real action to combat dangerous climate change: 80-100% renewable energy by 2020.
3. End all fossil fuel subsidies ($8.6 Billion per annum)
4. Support solar, wind and geo-thermal power industries and new clean energy jobs.
5. Support communities impacted by phasing out of coal based industries.
6. Create a new Government authority to steer a transition to a renewable energy based economy
7. No compensation to the big polluters
The phone numbers of politicians to call are listed below. Most likely you will end up talking to a staff member.
PM Julie Gillard Tel: (02) 6277 7700 Fax: (02) 6273 4100 Internet: http://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm
Deputy PM Wayne Swan Tel: (02) 6277 7340 Fax: (02) 6273 3420 E-mail: Wayne.Swan.MP@aph.gov.au
Climate Change Minister Greg Combet Tel: (02) 6277 7920 Fax: (02) 6273 7330 E-mail: Greg.Combet.MP@aph.gov.au
Tony Windsor MP Tel: (02) 6277 4722 Fax: (02) 6277 8545 E-mail: Tony.Windsor.MP@aph.gov.au
Senator Bob Brown Tel:(02) 6277 3170 Fax: (02) 6277 3185 Email: email@example.com
Courtesy of: Climate Action Canberra, Geoff Lazarus 0419 369 206, Rebecca Horridge 0406 375 401